H&P Reflection

Please review both H&Ps that you have uploaded and respond to these prompts with 2-5 sentences for each.

1. What differences do you note between the two H&Ps?

Between the 2 H&Ps, first thing I noticed was that my chief complaint was written properly in the second one. I also noticed that my HPI is a lot longer and more detailed and of course, the whole H&P is longer and covers almost everything. I was able to write more off the top of my head instead of referring to a template the second time around. The second H&P also contains differential diagnoses, assessment and plan which required more thought when writing the H&P.

2. In what ways has your history-taking improved?  Are you eliciting all the important information?

When I thought about the patient’s chief complaint and their past medical history, I feel like I was able to ask more focused questions during the visit for the second H&P. However, sometimes it was a challenge to think of what was considered “important” for certain patients.

3. In what ways has writing an HPI improved? (hint: look at the rubric scores)

Based on my second H&P, I can see that my HPI is a lot longer and more detailed with what relates to my patient’s complaint. I was able to think of pertinent positives and negatives when writing the HPI. I feel like my flow improved over time and I’m able to present the case/story better

4. What is your self-assessment of your current skill in performing a physical exam? Which areas do you feel strongest about/weakest about?

I feel pretty confident performing a full physical although there were some complications during our final PD lab practical because we couldn’t figure out was important for a comprehensive/compact and more focused physical exam and what was extra. Other than those areas of confusion, I am comfortable doing what I believe is pertinent to a physical. I think my weakest areas are identifying S1/S2 and heart murmurs when auscultating the heart and also doing a fundoscopy. My strongest areas would probably be the neuro exam and musculoskeletal.

5. Of course, we expect you to get stronger in all areas, but which of the specific areas will you target as needing particular focus in future patient visits when you start the clinical year?

I think I need to focus on connecting dots and recognizing what certain signs/symptoms should indicate to me and coming up with differentials the further I progress into talking to the patient. I want to work on ruling things in and out as I learn more. Another important thing that I could work on is knowing what to treat patients with on a case by case basis.